By C. H. Dodd
Read or Download According to the Scriptures;: The sub-structure of New Testament theology (Stone lectures) PDF
Similar theology books
We're always engaged in processing information and sensory inputs throughout us, even if we're not aware of the various neural pathways our minds are touring. So taking a step again to examine the scale and practices of a specific frame of mind is a problem. much more vital, besides the fact that, is cultivating the conduct of brain worthy in a lifetime of ministry.
Christian apologetics is in trouble. outdated strategies do now not carry and post-modern improvement pose new questions. Benno van den Toren argues for an apologetic witness that's an workout in cross-cultural discussion aimed toward persuading our dialog companions of the relevance of a existence targeted at the truth printed in Jesus Christ.
A key guideline of Christian religion is that the crucifixion of Jesus Christ is a special demise in which the powers of loss of life on the planet were conquered, in order that Christian existence within the Spirit is marked through the promise and desire of 'new lifestyles' already expected locally of baptized believers. though this easy guideline in regards to the Christian existence as a participation within the redemptive loss of life of Jesus Christ, theology long ago, in addition to a lot modern theology, has a tendency to assign no salvific importance to the development of our personal loss of life, focusing as a substitute on loss of life in unfavorable phrases because the wages of sin.
Whilst first released, Evil and the God of affection immediately grew to become famous as a contemporary theological vintage, broadly considered because the most vital paintings at the challenge of evil to seem in English for greater than a new release. together with a foreword through Marilyn McCord Adams, this reissue additionally incorporates a new preface through the writer.
- DOCTRINE OF REPENTANCE
- Studies in Gnosticism and Hellenistic Religions Presented to Gilles Quispel on the Occasion of His 65th Birthday
- Theology and Bioethics: Exploring the Foundations and Frontiers
- Church Dogmatics: A Selection
- Biblical Theology of the Old and New Testaments: Theological Reflection on the Christian Bible
- How to Think Theologically, 2nd Edition
Extra resources for According to the Scriptures;: The sub-structure of New Testament theology (Stone lectures)
The prophet puts into the mouth of the people the comforting reflection, After two days he will revive us: on the third day he will raise us up and we shall live before him. And let us know, let us follow on to know the Lord. In the LXX this runs, ... on the third day we shall both rise, and live before him, and know: we shall press on to know the Lord. Although this passage is never expressly quoted in the New Testament, it seems to be echoed in the clause which Paul cites from the primitive kerygma: He was raised on the third day according to the scriptures.
43) may, in view of the general character of the kerygma, be extended by implication beyond its immediate application, to cover all allusions to the Old Testament in the context. 22, the statement τυφλοὶ ἀναβλέπουσιν ... καὶ πτωχοὶ εὐαγγελίζονται is intended to prove, by appeal to manifest facts, that Jesus is ὁ ἐρχόµενος, which means that his activity corresponds to the affirmations of the prophets concerning the good time coming. 1. 4. 1-2 is expressly quoted, it seems to be treated as a source of testimonies, in the kerygmatic passage of Acts x, which almost certainly rests upon earlier tradition, and in the "Q" stratum of Matthew and Luke, which, whether or not it had the character of a documentary source, also represents an early independent tradition.
This prophecy however is never quoted in the New Testament, and allusions are scanty and vague. 14). 10 may be a further reminiscence. 6, and his titles, and especially the announcement of his peaceful reign, would have afforded testimonies; but it is not so. The most we can say is that some traits of the child born to be king in this passage have entered into the generalized picture of the Messiah Son of David which is presupposed in the development of early Christian thought, though it is not its dominant strain.
According to the Scriptures;: The sub-structure of New Testament theology (Stone lectures) by C. H. Dodd