By Claudi Alsina, Roger Nelsen
Reliable geometry is the normal identify for what we name this day the geometry of third-dimensional Euclidean house. This publication offers concepts for proving a number of geometric leads to 3 dimensions. specified cognizance is given to prisms, pyramids, platonic solids, cones, cylinders and spheres, in addition to many new and classical effects. A bankruptcy is dedicated to every of the next simple options for exploring area and proving theorems: enumeration, illustration, dissection, airplane sections, intersection, generation, movement, projection, and folding and unfolding. The ebook contains a choice of demanding situations for every bankruptcy with strategies, references and a whole index. The textual content is aimed toward secondary university and faculty and collage academics as an creation to sturdy geometry, as a complement in challenge fixing periods, as enrichment fabric in a direction on proofs and mathematical reasoning, or in a arithmetic direction for liberal arts scholars.
Read or Download A Mathematical Space Odyssey: Solid Geometry in the 21st Century PDF
Similar topology books
Springer is reissuing a specific few hugely winning books in a brand new, low-cost softcover variation to lead them to simply obtainable to more youthful generations of scholars and researchers. Springer-Verlag started publishing books in greater arithmetic in 1920. it is a reprint of the second one Edition.
This is a ebook mostly approximately singular (co)homology. with a view to do calculations on extra complicated items, CW complexes are brought. The booklet concentrates on items and manifolds. it's aimed toward a graduate point viewers and in that context it's self contained. Homological algebra is constructed as much as the extent wanted within the textual content. there's a reasonable quantity of examples and workouts.
This booklet brings jointly right into a common environment a number of strategies within the examine of the topological houses of areas of continuing features. the 2 significant sessions of functionality area topologies studied are the set-open topologies and the uniform topologies. the place acceptable, the analogous theorems for the 2 significant periods of topologies are studied jointly, in order that a comparability will be made.
Form concept: The Inverse approach method
- Geometry and topology: manifolds, varieties, and knots
- Directed Algebraic Topology: Models of Non-Reversible Worlds
- Topology: An Introduction with Application to Topological Groups
- Topology and Representation Theory: Conference on the Connections Between Topology and Representation Theory May 1-5, 1992 Northwestern University
Additional info for A Mathematical Space Odyssey: Solid Geometry in the 21st Century
2. Once the calissons have been colored, they appear as a collection of cubes in the corner of a room with a square floor and square walls. Looking at the configuration from above we see just the top faces of the cubes, which of course cover the floor. The same is true if we view the configuration from one of the sides. , calissons, in each orientation is the same. 3 Using cubes to sum integers In this section we present a collection of identities concerning sums of positive integers (which we will call simply “numbers” in this section) and visual proofs using solids composed of unit cubes (cubes with volume 1).
Although all the faces of an icosahedron are triangles, it is intimately associated with the regular pentagon and the golden ratio. For two examples: the outermost edges of the five triangular faces surrounding a vertex are the edges of a regular pentagon; each pair of opposite edges is a pair of opposite edges of a golden rectangle, an a b rectangle with b=a D ' 1:618, the golden ratio. 10a we see a 1983 postage stamp issued by the German Democratic Republic with a faulty rendering of a regular icosahedron.
A Mathematical Space Odyssey: Solid Geometry in the 21st Century by Claudi Alsina, Roger Nelsen